Upcoming Events: Click for more info
- January 26, 2018 8:00 pmPaul Dresher Presents: Ned Rothenberg World Premiere: "Beyond C"
- January 27, 2018 8:00 pmPaul Dresher Presents: Ned Rothenberg World Premiere: "Beyond C"
- February 9, 2018 9:00 pmCosmic Diaspora at Octopus Literary Salon
- February 23, 2018 8:00 pmACTUAL TRIO CD RELEASE CONCERT!
- March 6, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #1: Matt Wright (computer) and John Schott (guitar)
- March 7, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #2: Actual Trio
- March 8, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #3: Actual Trio with Four Special Guests!!!
- March 9, 2018Stone Residency #4: What Comes Before, with Ben Goldberg and Mike Sarin
- March 10, 2018Stone Residency #5: Cosmic Diaspora (East)
- April 21, 2018 6:30 pmBenefit Concert hosted by UC Hastings
Category Archives: Live Music
Actual Trio West Coast Tour poster Thank you to all the wonderful people and venues that hosted the Actual Trio on tour: the Bakersfield Jazz Workshop, Alex Cline and Steuert Liebig at the Open Gate series in L.A., Gregg Moore … Continue reading
The Actual Trio CD will be released September 18, and gigs both local and away are starting to come into focus. Holy moly, it’s been a loooooooonnngggg time since I’ve been in the ‘let’s hustle gigs, let’s spend money, let’s … Continue reading
Electronic Musician and innovator Tim Perkis made the thoroughly enjoyable documentary Noisy People in 2007, profiling experimental Bay Area musicians Phillip Greenlief, Dan Plonsey, Damon Smith, Tom Djil, Cheryl Leonard, Gino Robair,Greg Goodman, and Geirge Cremaschi. He has continued this … Continue reading
A bunch of us got together last Sunday at the Berkeley Arts Festival space to celebrate Ornette. People shared stories: of seeing the Quartet repeatedly at the Five Spot in ’58, of spending many hours with Ornette at … Continue reading
On the occasion of Dream Kitchen re-uniting to play at Jupiter in Berkeley on June 28, I sat down for a chat with bandleader, guitarist and vocalist John Schott. John Schott: You’ve spoken several times in therapy sessions of your … Continue reading
As much as I enjoy the exceedingly complex music of Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Carter, et al, as an electric guitarist, my enjoyment is strictly limited to listening and studying scores. I’ve rarely had the pleasure/terror of performing it, of … Continue reading
Hey, remember the Berkeley Arts Center? That cute little gallery in Live Oak Park? So nice and cozy, and it seems like no one knows about it! I hadn’t been there in many years, but it’s just as … Continue reading
I’m deep in Trios lately. I’ve waited a long time to perform or record standards in a guitar-bass-drums trio setting, because those songs mean so much to me and are too often taken for granted, and because the … Continue reading
The link below is to a video of pli selon pli: Pierre Boulez conducting the EIC and Lucerne Festival Academy with Barbara Hannigan, soprano on September 27, 2011 at the Salle Pleyel. The performance will be available on the web … Continue reading
www.npr.org/blogs/ablogsupreme/2011/09/21/140610964/monterey-jazz-2011-sarah-wilson-quintet At the above link you can listen to the second set from the Monterey Jazz Festival. Sarah Wilson – trumptet and voice; Charles Burnham – amplified violin; John Schott – guitar; Jerome Harris – acoustic bass guitar; Matt Wilson – drums.