Upcoming Events: Click for more info
- January 26, 2018 8:00 pmPaul Dresher Presents: Ned Rothenberg World Premiere: "Beyond C"
- January 27, 2018 8:00 pmPaul Dresher Presents: Ned Rothenberg World Premiere: "Beyond C"
- February 9, 2018 9:00 pmCosmic Diaspora at Octopus Literary Salon
- February 23, 2018 8:00 pmACTUAL TRIO CD RELEASE CONCERT!
- March 6, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #1: Matt Wright (computer) and John Schott (guitar)
- March 7, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #2: Actual Trio
- March 8, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #3: Actual Trio with Four Special Guests!!!
- March 9, 2018Stone Residency #4: What Comes Before, with Ben Goldberg and Mike Sarin
- March 10, 2018Stone Residency #5: Cosmic Diaspora (East)
- April 21, 2018 6:30 pmBenefit Concert hosted by UC Hastings
Author Archives: jschott
The new Actual Trio record, recorded at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley and produced by Hans Wendl, is HERE. I’m completely over the moon about this one! Featuring cover art by the legendary Han Bennink, the smokin’ playing of John Hanes … Continue reading
In anticipation of seeing Tristan this September at the Met – with Nina Stemme singing and Simon Rattle conducting! – I’ve been studying the work, thoroughly, for the first time. I like to take different approaches to this, not just … Continue reading
Sometimes you get lucky, and it comes together: I am staying in a beautiful apartment in the far West Village in New York, seeing friends, hearing friends, and walking, walking, walking. Everything I’ve seen has been wonderful: Zorn and friends … Continue reading
After decades of dribs and drabs, we are suddenly awash in English translations of Karl Kraus, the Viennese writer who’s been an on and off obsession of mine since I was a teenager. I became aware of Kraus through reading Schoenberg’s … Continue reading
My favorite Boulez encomium so far is Gerald McBurney’s in The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/12/pierre-boulez-gerard-mcburney-a-pierre-dream Featuring this priceless bit: “Someone had told me on no account to mention Messiaen. So I did, and he immediately laughed, stopped and looked at me like … Continue reading
There’s a photo of Paul playing with Lester Young, and then of course the sessions with Bird in Montreal 1953, released on the Uptown label. The trio record with Mingus and Blakey. And then: The Hillcrest Club. “Fire Dave Pike!” … Continue reading
I didn’t realize that the recent Verve release The Complete Charlie Parker with Strings includes newly discovered alternate takes, that were not included in the big 10-CD Complete on Verve box! Why wasn’t I informed? How come when new Charlie … Continue reading
Actual Trio West Coast Tour poster Thank you to all the wonderful people and venues that hosted the Actual Trio on tour: the Bakersfield Jazz Workshop, Alex Cline and Steuert Liebig at the Open Gate series in L.A., Gregg Moore … Continue reading
I met Roberto Gastelumendi through Dan Seamans. Robert is an innovative and virtuoso woodworker and builder; his furniture pieces, surfboards, skateboards, iPhone cases are like Hundertwasser designs in wood. This amazing creation is his first guitar, awaiting sanding, routing, and everything … Continue reading