I had never seen footage of Paul Motion playing with Bill Evans before (which doesn’t mean there isn’t any, I’m far from systematic about watching jazz videos). But it’s wonderful to see him, here with Chuck Israels in April of 1962. Perhaps this is the earliest substantial footage of Evans? The sound and picture quality isn’t great, but it’s 26 minutes of “averagely great”playing, if you will. It’s just cool to see Motion at this point, on brushes throughout, and to be grateful that he’s still making such vital music almost fifty years later. They play Nardis, Blue In Green, In Your Own Sweet Way (Israels and Motion working it here), Time Remembered, Re: Person I Knew, Waltz for Debby (oh man, Motion is swinging!), and a teensy bit of Five.
Upcoming Events: Click for more info
- March 6, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #1: Matt Wright (computer) and John Schott (guitar)
- March 7, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #2: Actual Trio
- March 8, 2018 8:00 pmStone Residency #3: Actual Trio with Four Special Guests!!!
- March 9, 2018Stone Residency #4: What Comes Before, with Ben Goldberg and Mike Sarin
- March 10, 2018Stone Residency #5: Cosmic Diaspora (East)
- April 21, 2018 6:30 pmBenefit Concert hosted by UC Hastings
- May 5, 2018 8:30 pmActual Trio at Bird and Beckett